About the Role
EQDerivatives is seeking an entry-level researcher to produce thought-leading content for the company's fast-growing, subscription financial news and a new mandate data service. The researcher would cover key trends and market developments, notably in its People & Firms section, across the globe. In addition, the reporter would track mandates by investors in the space.
We are looking to add an ambitious researcher. We need someone keen to learn about a complex area and not be afraid to ask for help or be easily put off by the sometimes-sharp elbows of traders. We expect career progression for the right candidate. The researcher will receive training and guidance from the global managing editor.
The researcher will have the following responsibilities:
- Monitor social media and access sources to determine key employment transitions in our target community to report as part of the People Moves section of our Commentary & News service;
- Monitor mandate databases and postings (internal and external) to determine mandates worth including in Commentary & News and in our MandateConnect service;
- Collect, verify and analyze thoroughly newsworthy information;
- Assemble findings into a coherent and engaging story;
- Write and deliver news stories with the reader’s perspective in mind;
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips;
- Contact, interview and research sources;
- Maintain detailed notes and audio recordings during important meetings and conversations;
- Work independently and as part of a team;
- Review, proofread, and/or edit related documents;
- Attend and/or review event footage to summarize key content for subscribers
About the Candidate
A qualified candidate will have the following experiences and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, business, finance, or similar field;
- Demonstrated interest in journalism;
- Proficiency with MS Suite, Google Suite for Business essential;
- Prior experience cold calling potential contacts (such as a phone-a-thon or similar work);
- A superb communicator, with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Maintains a positive attitude that exudes professionalism and integrity in all aspects of their work;
- Willingness to learn and enjoys building and sustaining professional relationships with clients and potential clients;
- Ability to keep assignments moving to completion, work well under pressure and work independently while seeking guidance appropriately;
- Must be reliable, organized, willing to act for the well being of the company first, and able to self-motivate to complete work;
- Calm under pressure and unflappable in the face of timely or urgent requests;
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment without stress;
- A natural curiosity about how things work and how to get them done efficiently, including identifying and addressing problems with ease; and
- Experience or interest in the financial world a plus (such as a course, internship, club experience, or other background).
Reports To: Regional Editor & Global Editor
Location: U.S. - NYC or Chicago
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be $45,000 to $55,000, commensurate to industry standards and candidate’s prior relevant skills and experiences. EQDerivatives also provides benefits, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums;
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA), where you can allocate pre-tax dollars to pay for certain out-of-pocket health care costs;
- Eligible to contribute towards a 401k retirement plan;
- 15 days PTO plus public holidays. PTO is prorated for the first year; and
- On-the job business and financial reporting training, including direct 1:1 mentorship with the company board member and global managing editor.
EQDerivatives delivers high-quality, detailed content and peer interaction to sophisticated institutional investment professionals.
We’re the leading -- and in some cases the only -- provider of independent strategy content to pension funds, hedge funds, asset managers, foundations and endowments and insurers active in cross-asset derivatives, volatility, alternative risk premia and other quantitative strategies.
The firm is a global operation with clients and staff in all major markets. The company was co-founded by Rob McGlinchey in London and Peter Thompson in Chicago.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond personally to every applicant. Your Other Half, LLC carefully reviews each application within one month of application receipt. If you do not hear from us within this time, we encourage you to apply again for another position in the future, and thank you for your interest in EQDerivatives and Your Other Half.
EQDerivatives is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, sex, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, race, religion or any other protected class.